Latest posts by Brent Mele (see all)
- Are Mobile Apps the Way to Manage Home Security? - February 20, 2019
- Former Criminals Talk About Obstacles to Burglary - January 30, 2019
- Pets and the Burglar Alarm: Ways to Integrate Them - January 21, 2019
For the criminal, crime is a job—and they are masters of the profession. Those who commit crime are exceptionally creative and use a multitude of subtle tricks and tactics to achieve their goals. Most people are unfamiliar with all but the most common and commonly talked about tricks, and that is why they continue to be successful to the burglar.
Being aware of the tricks and tactics burglars use can help prevent you from becoming a victim, and make your community safer. Here is a rundown of some of the most surprising methods and tricks criminals use.
- Google maps. With street view, a burglar can gain knowledge of your property, such as the location of doors and windows, as well as whether or not there is sufficient cover to break in.
They can also use it to gauge neighbor perspective and proximity as well as plan their escape.
- Calling police. A criminal might also call police from the neighborhood to test response time.
- They leave flyers on your door. A criminal may leave a flyer on your door to get an idea of the hours the home is occupied based on when it is removed. They may do this several times, on different days, or the same day over several weeks to determine the regularity of your schedule.
- They check your trash. There is a wealth of information to be found in the garbage, whether it is personal information from bills or clues to recent purchases.
- They look for signs of pets. Having a pet means you probably make accommodations for them, such as leaving a window open so the cat can enjoy fresh air, or having a dog door. These accommodations usually mean making your home vulnerable.
- They leave markings. Criminals may also leave markings when casing several homes. The markings may be chalk symbols or litter positioned a certain way to indicate information about the home and its occupants. For example, one symbol may mean the home does not have security, another means it is vacant during the day, or contains target items.
- They may research you. If they have your name, they may search it to see your estimated earnings and gauge the valuables you own.
- Once they find your information, they use it to probe. They may call to see if you are home or email to see if they get an automated response when they expect you to be away on vacation.
- They may use a planned power outage as cover of darkness.
Smart Home Security is Your Best Defense
As a resident, your job is securing the home and having the right home security features shows you are a master of your profession. Smart security features such as motion sensors and alerts, video surveillance, video doorbells, smart locks, motion activated lighting, and video verified alarms, provide the best tools to spot and defend against the criminal’s best tactic. All make the criminal take notice and think twice.
About All Action Alarm
All Action Alarm is a family owned business that has been dedicated to protecting Long Island homes and businesses since 1980. Our 5 diamond central monitoring station keeps watch over your alarm system 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.